Monday, November 24, 2014



Whiny Blog #2

            Today I had an “exciting” adventure, driving our dependable, Ford 150 pickup truck to the Rivertown Feed Store to buy my dogs and cat some food and treats. My cars are a bit small to hold all I was buying, but the truck was perfect. From the feed store, I ventured on to Whole Foods to purchase a few additional items needed for Thanksgiving. I feel the need to say first that I’ve driven the truck, as well as my son’s truck, a huge, Toyota Tundra long bed, many times with no problems. I’m not a huge person but I can handle a flippin’ truck!
All was going well today. The folks at Rivertown were friendly and helpful as always. The same was true for the checker and bagger at Whole Foods. The place was packed, yet the employees were smiling and upbeat. We had a polite and friendly interchange at the checkout stand before I pushed my little, green cart out into the completely packed, parking lot to unload my groceries. I did just that and respectfully pushed the cart to its assigned holding place before jumping back in the truck for the ride home.
Once in my vehicle, I started the engine, put it in reverse, and sat for a few minutes while car after car passed behind me. Finally, an opening . . . I backed up very slowly, checking for cars and pedestrians behind me and looking in front to make sure I cleared the cars beside me. Perfect! All was well. I put the truck in drive and pulled forward to leave the lot. It was then that I heard him!
A guy in a tiny, silver, sports car of some kind yelled at me. “Hey, Lady. You need a smaller car. Get a smaller car!”
Was he angry because he had to wait half a minute for me to back out before he could move forward? Was he irritated that I was being careful? Was he bothered by indigestion? Had he picked a fight with his wife that morning? Would he be spending the holiday alone? WTH?
 I just have to wonder, so I’m writing about it to eradicate the incident from my mind. Of course, I came home and reported the event to my husband and we, in hindsight, thought of a few choice retorts I could have made. Had I thought quickly enough, I would have jumped out of my truck, walked to his window and said, “Happy Thanksgiving, sir. Have a nice day.”
And, then, a more negative reply was considered, “What you need dude, is to get a life!” or “I have a Jaguar XKR and a BMW 435i, buddy, but if I had driven one of those into this lot, you probably would have slammed your car door into the side and chuckled about it!” Whatever! If I had said anything, polite or otherwise, this angry fellow probably would have decked me so simply driving away and keeping my considerations to myself was probably best.
I have to wonder though. What is wrong with people? God knows we have enough negativity and sadness in life. Why can’t folks just be nice? Is that so difficult? I reposted a quote on Facebook the other day. I wish more people would take it to heart. Kindness – It doesn’t cost a damn thing. Sprinkle that shit everywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment