Saturday, November 1, 2014

Congratulations Giants!

I admit it! I’m a Giants fan just like SO many other people in the Bay Area. What I loved about this year’s World Series win is that every single player, veteran or rookie, contributed to making it happen. Sure, Bumgarner was fantastic and deserves all the accolades, but others had spectacular plays as well, interspersed throughout the series. Torture has never been so true though, but, like thousands of others, I believed! I truly thought this team could win this thing! I wore one of my many Giants shirts every day of the playoffs, just to make sure!

My favorite comment from a player this year was from Gregor Blanco who told Amy G. that his heart was orange. How sweet and poetic. I must interject here that I am so proud of Amy G. who is Petaluma’s own special “Giant” star. I loved seeing her interviews all year and I like to say, “I knew her when . . .” She was a student in my Junior Honors English class at Casa Grande High School and was a classmate of my son, Alex. She was a great kid, from a terrific family, and liked by everybody.

Finally, I simply want to say that the win made me feel happy. It wasn’t the winning so much (although that was giant!), but it was heartwarming to see that the celebration brought so many people together, joyously together, and in this day and age, such camaraderie seems to be in short supply. The sea of shouting, laughing, hugging, and jumping fans at the San Francisco Civic Center was amazing. The celebration was something of a love fest with the fans making their adoration for “their” team so very real simply with their jubilant presence, and the players, coaches, and commentators, with obvious sincerity and gratitude, gave it right back. So, yes, yesterday’s event with all the fanfare, made me smile.


I needed to put my thoughts on paper, so here they are! Yes! Yes! Yes! Go Giants!
Here I am in the garden at AT&T Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment