Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Some Random Thoughts On Veterans Day

Random Thought #1: Today is Veterans Day, a day to remember all those who have served and sacrificed for our country. Most all of us have a parent, uncle, aunt, cousin, brother, sister, child, or friend who is a veteran, so when this day arrives, particular faces come to our minds. This day offers us a chance to say thank you. We have parades, speeches, and other activities to honor our veterans and then, for some folks, it’s done. Tomorrow arrives and people are apt to go about their lives ignoring the fact that freedom, indeed, is not free. Instead, big business is bombarding us with Christmas and holiday specials before we even get through Thanksgiving. It is a bit odd where priorities lie, isn’t it?

            Random Thought #2: I take the good things in my life for granted too sometimes, but I do think about our veterans more often than one day in November. I donate to several causes throughout the year. Usually I give to organizations and hospitals that are involved in cancer research. However, I also send contributions to Paralyzed Veterans of America. I have been sending them money for years. I’m not sure why I glommed on to that group to support, but I have, and I always feel good about sending a check their way several times a year.

Random Thought #3: Veterans Day makes me think of my father, my cousin, and a few friends who served in Vietnam. My dad was a veteran, serving first as an Army officer and then later re-enlisting for a career in the Air Force. Yes, I’m a military “brat”, and as such endured some painful partings when my dad was sent overseas for long periods of time. Even today, when I see soldiers departing or conversely returning into the arms of their children, I am filled with emotion that comes right back to me and lodges in my throat! I am so clear about the sorrow and distress involved in saying good-bye. Thankfully I also can appreciate the joy a child feels when he or she falls into the arms of one who has been away for much too long. So, today, I think too about the families of veterans, especially the children, who also have had to give and moreover, at times, to lose. 

To all veterans -- a heartfelt Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment