Monday, March 24, 2014

Selfies

Selfies. I’m not so sure about them. Even my computer has a question! The word definitely is underlined in red! Should that tell us something? I’m not sure selfies are all that flattering actually. They seem to distort folks a bit. I know they are all the rage these days. Even the president is in on the craze. And, of course, the “group selfie” taken at the Academy Awards ceremony was the highlight of the night with every star imaginable trying to crowd into the frame. I guess I simply don’t understand the reasoning behind a person taking his or her own photo. Am I wrong to think it’s superficial? Maybe someone could explain the thinking behind a selfie to me. I’d really like to know.

I hope this doesn’t sound negative or offensive. I truly was just wondering.


(And, it’s true. My spellcheck does NOT like the word. I wonder, however, if selfie will be added to the dictionary this year as a valid, new word. I suppose whoever makes those decisions should consider it. Why not?)

No comments:

Post a Comment