Thursday, March 13, 2014

Remembering Those Teenagers

The poem below was included in one of my first blogs, but somehow it disappeared from my blog archive, so I am publishing it again, only slightly altered and with the content noticeably a bit dated.

As quite a number of people know, I taught high school for many years. I loved teaching and enjoyed my students, although from time to time I would have a class that “made me crazy”! Sometimes simply a random blend of personalities combined to make teaching very difficult. It was rare, thank goodness, but it happened. I found a poem I wrote hastily, in reaction to a bad day, a long time ago, and it reminded me. Perhaps a few other teachers may relate as this school year nears its final days.

To Fifth Period/Class of 1990

It is a monster
That invades my space
At one-0-five.
This undulating mass
Of arms, legs, Reeboks, and
Ordinary Peoples
Makes me realize
This is a special place.

It’s horrid
And noisy
And painfully adolescent.
The space of this place
Oozes rap and dope and sex
In the minds
Of those who have no choice
But to vegetate here.

Thirty Days
And they’ll be free.

It chatters and gossips,
This monster,
And activates a youthful rhythm
I don’t really understand.

Sure, I was there once,
A monster myself,
But my focus is different now,
Painfully different.

In my adult educated view
I know what’s right.
What’s right.
What’s right?
For whom? For me?

I clash with those
Who don’t even care
For one moment
That Conrad cries,
That Karen dies.

I find no solution.
I sob in the shower
And soothe my aching ego.

Have I failed these spirited souls,
These Guess-jeaned, 501’d,
Michael Jordaned basketball nuts?

Have I so much as touched
One single one
Of these impossible beings?

It’s sad to think not.
Yet I do think not,
Sometimes.

And why should I care?
Because I do.
This space, this monster
Is in my charge.

I, the adolescent of long ago,
Not quite so grown up,
No quite so old,
Am caught in a limbo,
Wishing to have an affect,
To be a tiny part,
To make a difference.

But the monster lashes out.
It rudely rakes its egocentric claws
At my sensitivity.

I am sad.

This monster though,
And I love it so,
Is perhaps not so scary,
Not really so crude,
Not really so hateful,
But surely unaware
It’s part of me.

It’s invaded my space
And it’s here to stay,

At least for thirty more days.                                   
                                                                        Judith DeChesere, May 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment