Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day

Here we are. Another year has rolled around and we’re ready to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day again. I donned the only green t-shirt I own today so nobody would pinch me. I had to hike up the old, back, hoodie sweatshirt and drag down the t-shirt so it could be seen, but that worked; that swath of green saved the day. Not one person accused me of not doing my part to mark the occasion. I’m not Irish, but I do have a little Scottish in my background. (It’s NOT the same, I know!) And, of course, there’s the Italian side. With my grandparents having emigrated from Italy, it’s easy to claim that ancestry. My personal “stuff” aside, however, it is Saint Patrick’s Day, and time to chime in with folks who enjoy this holiday very much.

For several countries the day is an official public holiday with quite a few religions touting its importance. Supposedly the day commemorates Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland. It’s more than that though. It’s a chance to honor the heritage and culture of the Irish, and I think that’s cool.

St. Patrick’s Day is fun -- parades, fancy outfits, four-leaf clovers, leprechauns, bling in every shade of green, good luck, and beer, beer, and more beer. I’m quite sure a good brew has been on the minds of a number of people today! (I’ve checked out the posts on Facebook.) It seems as though everyone is ready for a little stout if not something a bit less strong! At my house the corned beef is simmering, the potatoes and cabbage are ready to be added to the stock, and more than a few brews are chilled and ready for consumption, (though I’ll stick with wine). It is probably safe to say that a few folks will be feeling no pain this evening. I also assume they know that tomorrow will be here in a blink! May luck keep them safe and sound!

So, Happy Saint Patrick’s Day, and whatever you do have a wonderful evening!



No comments:

Post a Comment