Thursday, September 19, 2013


A Few Thoughts As September 21st Approaches

I was blessed with two amazingly wonderful sons, Alex and Justin. Alex passed away on May 24, 2013 after a nine-year battle with brain cancer. This coming Saturday, September 21st is Alex’s birthday. He would have been forty. Last year, when Alex turned 39 we had a big party for him with just family and a few old high school buddies. He loved it, but I have to wonder if at that time he thought he would reach his next birthday, if he would enter a new decade. Perhaps not, for his health was failing and Hospice had been notified. Alex was incredibly astute. He seemed to understand life and all its contradictions a bit better than most people. Rather than getting upset, rather than complaining, he would make jokes; he would laugh; and he would do his best to make others laugh. He was just that way. He had such a gift and those who knew him remember.

I spoke to Justin yesterday for a long time. We talked about Alex and how we planned to remember him in a special way on his birthday. My husband and I will be attending an IAFF Memorial in Colorado Springs, CO for fire fighters in the United States who died in the line of duty. I am a little anxious, but I believe it is a perfect place to honor Alex, on his birthday. My husband bought him a birthday card. My son, Justin and his family have other ideas. They plan to write notes to Alex, letters of love and remembrance, and perhaps launch them tied to balloons into the air. It seems a sweet way to celebrate. Justin is the father of three adorable children, is married to lovely woman, and has a good job. He works hard. As his brother, Alex, did, Justin fills my heart with joy. I love him so much. Yesterday, following in his big brother’s footsteps, he made me laugh. 

Life has played tricks on our hearts this year. We have been sad. I rejoice, however, in sweet memories that gather in my mind and make me smile. Alex is still doing what comes natural, I suppose. 

Happy Birthday, Alex!



Alex and Justin (February 2010)



No comments:

Post a Comment