Tuesday, September 10, 2013


Taking Chances

Why is it that some people find taking chances a snap and others feel burdened with the thought? Adrenalin junkies (and I know a few) have no problem with the concept. These impulsive, spontaneous folks feed on the gamble, the risk, and the odds. It is their lifeblood. In most cases, I assume, they don’t look beyond the possibilities of something going wrong or at least they don’t linger on it. Given half a chance, they’ll grasp any opportunity. It’s as simple as that.

Others of us are not of the same ilk. We ponder and consider, we fret and foresee, anticipating what may or may not be. Therein lies the problem for us, I suppose. Thinking too much can hold us back. It’s so very easy to bask in the safety of the status quo, choosing to chase that annoying uncertainty away. Fat chance we’re going to change!

I’m usually pretty careful, although a few years ago I did go skydiving with my sons. Jumping out of an airplane at 13,000 feet was the chance of a lifetime for me. I don’t think I’d do it again, but taking the plunge, so to speak, was exhilarating beyond belief. I recall that time now because today I am faced with taking another chance; it is a risk of a completely different nature, and it makes me a little nervous. I’m trying to reason with myself. Seize this opportunity, Jude! What happens is simply what will happen. Go with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment