Friday, April 4, 2014

Acceptance Is The Rule or Should Be, Shouldn’t It?

I’ve been reading a great deal lately on Facebook and in the newspapers about what appears to be a growing number of incidences of intolerance and downright hate. I admit this sounds naïve, but I don’t quite understand. What difference does it make, really, if a person is gay, lesbian, straight, bisexual, asexual, or transgender? Should one’s political preference preclude her from a friendship? Is it a problem if English is not one’s first language or if a person speaks only one language, English or otherwise? What difference does it make which religion one chooses, or whether one decides not to have one at all? How many of us who stand on this Earth presently have been to heaven? Is it wrong to be an atheist? And what about those vegans or those “meat and potato” guys? Need they make snide remarks about one another for the foods they choose to consume? Does it matter the color of our eyes, hair, or skin? And is it really the end of the world if we are too heavy or too thin? I remember as a child being teased about my flaming, curly, red hair and pale, slightly chubby body. I was self-conscious then and grew shy as a result. I’m over it now, of course, but I do remember.


Growing up in a religious household, I was taught, “Be ye kind”, “Love one another”, and “Judge not that thou be judged”. What has happened to those good lessons? I’m afraid to say it, but I believe a few folks have forgotten the basics. I don't "do church" any more, but I do recall those words. It's because of that, I guess, that I believe our world is much more lovely because of its differences than because of its similarities, but that’s just me. I’m quite sure some people will disagree with me, but “whatever”! I’ll accept that.


No comments:

Post a Comment