Sunday, April 6, 2014

Time To Fall In Love – With Moments

Writing is important to me. It draws me to my computer. Sure, I check my emails and peruse Facebook for a few minutes but I’m usually at my computer to write . . . yes, every day! Someone posted a beautiful photograph recently that bore the words “Fall in love with moments”. It was a reminder. Recording moments, even if they simply reside in my mind is an integral part of writing.

We are lucky that we have the capability to remember what we see: the pink bud of a petunia, a puffy, white, cumulus cloud floating and changing shape in a vibrant, blue sky, or a tiny, red lady bug inching over the green frond of a dandelion. Moments give us a reflection of the sun in a drying puddle after the rain, a lone, brown leaf skittering down a dusty path, and the look of adoration in a puppy’s eyes when one says, “Walk?” 

Smells can be captured too, wafting by all too often begging for attention: chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven, the first, salty scent of ocean air, a purple lilac blooming in the spring. And with those smells, subconsciously attached, are often emotions that bear recording too.

Recalling a touch can take one back in time. Does anyone remember his or her first, awkward kiss? What about the first dip of a toe in a steamy, hot tub on a cold night? I recall vividly the second my finger touched my newborn’s nose. Unforgettable, it was.

Sounds too live in moments: a baby’s first word, “Mama”, a scream of joy or pain or panic, the agonizing sound of a dying man’s breath, a sob.

And what about taste? It doesn’t take a genius to know how much we all enjoy those moments, sometimes a bit too much! I’ll be vague here so folks can conjure their own sweet memories.

So, think about moments. Fall in love with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment