Friday, January 10, 2014

Which is it? Is it the Beginning or the End?

Today is Friday. It’s the end of the week. Tomorrow is Saturday. Is that the end too? I’ve never really figured out which is correct. Is Saturday the beginning of the week or is Sunday? The New Year of 2014 began on Wednesday. Is Wednesday, then, the first day of the week? Would that make Tuesday the end of the week? In my house Monday seems to be the end of the week because that’s the last day my husband is off before he goes back to work. My week begins with Tuesday and the meeting of the Champagne Sisters (but that’s another story). And where does that leave Thursday?

I guess life is full of ends and beginnings. Birth is a beginning and is usually considered an auspicious occurrence, although for some people it may not be so. It depends, I suppose on the circumstances. If birth is a beginning, is death then an ending? We refer to it as such: the end of life, the afterlife, passing through the portal, and on and on. Atheists would say, “Yep, it’s the end.” Believers would disagree. “It’s a new beginning,” they might profess. It’s a matter of opinion, of course.

I’m sure we’d all agree that the week, the year, our lives are cyclical for certain. It’s a matter of comings and goings, ins and outs, appearances and disappearances. In my view it’s what we do with our weeks, our years, indeed our lives that makes the difference. I like to think each new day is a beginning, and I would venture to say that if need be every hour, minute, and second gives one an opportunity for a new start. Maybe what’s cool about living is that we have that choice. Life can throw us into quite a quagmire if we wallow in a world where, at every corner, we cry, “Oh my God, this is the end!” So, I’d like to take another tack.


I want to believe that we’re all in a position to OWN beginnings, and I like that. It’s a pretty powerful place to be.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog, it's something to take in as I consider my new year's resolution. Wherever the beginning is--the day or the minute--the end comes too quickly. It is why we should make a difference; that will make the beginnings last a lot longer than the inevitable endings.
    -Manuel

    ReplyDelete