Sunday, December 28, 2014

How To Turn It Around                                     


            When I woke up this morning around 6:30 AM, I wandered down the hallway to feed my dogs and cat. What did I find? What wonderful odor permeated the room? You got it! Poop! My precious German shepherd, who, on occasion, has bowel issues, did not hold back this morning! I did not scold her (How could I?) although her demeanor told me she knew she had “been bad”! I let the dogs outside and scrambled into the kitchen for paper towels and 409. This was NOT going to be an easy cleanup! Runny poop was everywhere and GOT everywhere. I stepped in it, spread it around a bit, and realized immediately that my day definitely had begun whether I liked it or not. The choice was clear. I thoroughly cleaned the floor, scrubbing it over and over to make sure it was absolutely spotless and then I headed for the shower.

            After my shower, I brushed my teeth, dressed, put on makeup, and realized that by 8:30 I had accomplished quite a bit. My kitchen was squeaky-clean, the pets were fed, I had done a load of laundry, and the dishes had been put away. I went to my computer, read emails, checked out Facebook, and began writing this blog. When my husband awoke (and he was truly sympathetic about the doggy mess) we decided it was time to take our “mutts” out for their daily, three-mile walk. It was a beautiful morning, crisp, clear, and bright. Simply being outside and feeling the cold air bite my cheeks was invigorating. Now, at home again, all toasty and warm, I am finishing this somewhat mundane piece of writing only because the beginning needed a middle and an end.

            So, yes, this cold, December day that started out really shitty (Don’t be offended; it’s the perfect word.) has been very good, and I’m pleased to say my mindset made all the difference. In the grand scheme of things in this life, my dog’s “accident” was not a big deal. Not fretting, but instead simply doing what needed to be done, cleared the way (and the air) for a better day. I plan to keep this in mind.


Our beautiful German shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment