Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Magical Cleanser!

This morning I got up, fed my dogs and cat, showered and dressed, put the dishes away, cleaned the bathrooms, vacuumed the entire house, did three loads of laundry, carried out the garbage and recycling, rearranged a bit, straightened some, all the while listening to music: Fleetwood Mac, Foo Fighters, Lady Antebellum, Bastille, and a little Zac Brown. I stopped for a moment to check out Facebook and enjoyed a couple of seemingly impromptu, mall, flash mob extravaganzas that warmed my heart. I love the spontaneity that brings humanity together, if only for a short time.

Music is a wonderful cleanser! If it makes one cry, it’s probably meant to be. Tears can ease the pain and God knows there is enough of that in our world. If it makes one smile, it’s likely because it stirs a memory, sweet and savory. Aw! Embrace it! If it makes a person energetic, do things. That’s what it did for me today. If music makes someone want to dance, do it. Pirouette around the living room; twirl alone or grab another: a child, a cat, a mate, or an imaginary friend! Tap dance like a fool on the kitchen tile! And if music causes one to reflect, take time, pause a bit, ponder, muse, think, write.

As I compose this blog today, music is playing in the background. That is rare. I generally want absolute quiet, especially if I’m working on a fictional piece. Today, however, music simply appears to be appropriate and listening to it feels good.

So, here’s to music and cleaning stuff up – not a bad combination.


No comments:

Post a Comment