Friday, March 20, 2015

WHATEVER!

            I was thinking recently about the ways our language changes over time. What ever happened to the word “whatever”? The dictionary tells us whatever is usually a pronoun, or it could be used as an adjective. I’m beginning to think it has morphed into an interjection with more than a little emotion attached to it sometimes. Young people (and some adults, too) say “whatever” often. Below are a couple of examples:

“You need to do your homework,” the parent says.
“It’s done,” Johnny replies.
“I know you haven’t finished that essay for English,” the parent nags.
“I have,” Johnny lies.
“No you haven’t and you’re going to flunk,” the parent challenges.
“Whatever!”
(Johnny clearly wants out of this conversation.)
OR, SHORT AND SWEET,
“You’re being so rude and inconsiderate to me,” Sally cried.
“Whatever!” Jack retorted.
(They probably won’t make it.)

Overuse of the word whatever in a tone that is dismissive can be annoying, I suppose, but at times it works perfectly. Yes, I’ve used it too. “Whatever” easily can finalize a conversation unless, of course, the listener resists and escalates the issue into an argument. So beware, speaker. The word whatever could be a trap! Use it carefully.

Here’s a little play with "whatever" and a few related words:

What ever happened to the girl next door?
I have no idea whatsoever!
Why not?
Not remotely interested.
I heard she had issues and whatnot.
I haven’t heard anything.
What?
Nothing at all.
Nothing of any kind?
Nope!
No matter what her fate is only conjecture anyway.
Whatever!


            


No comments:

Post a Comment