Sunday, January 11, 2015

On The Week of January 5th
           
Some weeks are better left behind. Gone. Done. That is how I feel about this past week. Oh, I won’t forget this week that we (some of us) have survived, although it’s not quite over yet. (I am assuming of course, that the first day of the week is Monday, leaving Sunday as day seven, but of course I may be incorrect. In a previous blog, ironically posted a year ago, on January 10, 2014, I blathered about my confusion about what, indeed, is the beginning day of the week.) Not wanting to get sidetracked, however, I will continue.
This week has been unforgettable to me, for we have been shaken once more by events that make me believe our world is unraveling at the seams. The horrifying massacre in France has had many of us staring at out televisions and grappling with belief systems that we cannot understand . . . at all! Why, how, could this happen, yet again, in a civilized world? Oh, perhaps that’s the problem. “Civilized” implies being cultured, educated, refined, enlightened, polite, urbane as opposed to the opposite: barbarous. So what’s gone wrong? It has happened on too many days to count, locally and abroad.
When I walked my dogs this morning in a forty-nine degree chill, greeting neighbors and strangers with “Good Morning” and “Have a great day”, I had to wonder why some people choose intimidation, violence, hatred, and murder over goodness itself. Clearly it is naiveté on my part but I truly cannot understand.
I have to be honest. I started writing this blog on January 10th. Today is January 11th . I just want to post, get it over with, and start the next week, of January 12th on a better note.
To good things . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment