Friday, January 16, 2015

A Writer’s Conversation With Herself

Write the first line and everything else will follow.
That’s true until it isn’t. 
Why do you say that?
Because.
Because why?
Today I don’t have anything worth writing.
Yes you do.
No.
Yes. Keep writing.
I don’t want to write.
Write anyway.
Okay.
What have you been considering?
I’ve been thinking about . . . nothing.
You have to be pondering something.
Everything. Can’t focus.
Pick one thing.
People.
Okay. So what about them?
I don’t understand them.
That’s it?
Yes.
Pick another.
Potholes.
Potholes?
Yeah. I hate them.
That’s pretty random.
Well, I do. They screw up my alignment.
Go around them.
Not always easy.
Make an attempt.
Not easy, like people . . . sometimes.
Now you’re talking.
I’m not. I’m writing.
Ha! So what’s the problem?
People.
You’re going in circles.
Yes.
What about people?
They should be nicer.
Who?
The ones out there in the world
Who in particular?
The violent ones, the news grabbers
They’re misguided.
No conscience.
Gets to be much sometimes.
All the time
That’s life.
People are potholes.
Potholes?
They do damage . . . sometimes.
Not everyone
A few do.
Avoid them.
I’m going to close the door now.
And hide?
Retreat for a while
And then?
I think I’ll write.
Write what?
            A character sketch
Ha! Do that.
Sneaky, aren’t you?

                                                                        Judith DeChesere-Boyle, January 2015







No comments:

Post a Comment