Tuesday, August 12, 2014

R. I. P. Robin Williams

Like so many other people around the country and the world, I am reeling from the news of Robin Williams’ death. I literally gasped when I heard the Special Report on MSNBC. My initial reaction was to say, “Oh, what a loss.” In retrospect I see that as a somewhat selfish response but the truth is that it is a loss. I honestly can say that Robin Williams was one of my favorite actors/comedians ever. He has entertained us for so many years, not only with his outrageous and often spontaneous, comedic moments, but also with more serious roles. I loved him in Dead Poets Society, August Rush, and Good Will Hunting, for example. His talent, indeed his genius, was incredible, remarkable, unparalleled. The list of superlatives could go on and on. So, yes, we have lost someone who impacted our lives in ways perhaps he could not truly understand. His passing is my loss, our loss, but it’s not all about me or us.

How sad that residing beneath that façade, and behind all those characters and voices was a man who was tormented by fears and demons he likely did not even understand himself. I keep saying to myself, “If only, if only . . .” With all Robin Williams possessed in terms of wealth, friends, fans, and admirers, he must have felt very much alone at times and in my view, that is the most tragic aspect of his death. If only, someone had noticed his angst. If only someone had listened. If only, he had found the help he needed in time. If only . . . it’s an empty phrase.

Rest in Peace, Robin Williams. You will be missed.





No comments:

Post a Comment