Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Predictability Or Lack Thereof

I woke up questioning predictability today. I don’t know why. I couldn’t have predicted it. It just happened, so I’m considering it.
*Take weather. This morning when I got up to feed my dogs, I heard a strange sound.  Raindrops were pelting the skylight! Two days ago I watched huge drops plop into our pool! It’s July! Rain this time of year is rare where I live, but we’re in a drought. I totally welcome it!
*Take sports. I’ve watched “my teams” lose for no good reason or manage an amazing victory. I tend to appreciate the latter more, of course, but it’s a crapshoot sometimes as to which will occur no matter how good the odds.
*Take news. I guess the only thing predictable these days is that we’ll hear a story about someone, or many people, being responsible for harming or killing others. I find it hard to understand and it makes me question the goodness of humanity.
*Take health. How is it that things can be going along so well for a friend, a family member, or an acquaintance until that moment he or she falls ill and is diagnosed with some God-awful disease? It happens all too often.
*Take moods. Some folks are able to dominate a room simply with their mood. Whether happy, sad, angry, or afraid, how is it that particular individuals are able to control an office space, a home, or even the line at the post office with their mood? And what about people whose moods can change instantly for no seemingly distinct reason? It throws me off.
*Take traffic. All right. In Sonoma County one can quite accurately predict that traffic will be horrible due to all the construction being done on the freeways. I would like to predict that this issue will improve in the future but I’m not sure.
*Take friends. I’m fortunate here. I have friends who always seem to come through. I suppose I do as well. It’s the mirror image.
*Take family. My family is very small but even so, they’ll surprise me sometimes. I’ve been disappointed from time to time, but that’s rare. I do enjoy the positives: a phone call just to check in, a bouquet of flowers, or a note that says, “I love you.”
*Take each day. With predictability the sun will rise in the morning and fall in the evening and for each day I am given, I am most thankful.



No comments:

Post a Comment