Friday, July 18, 2014

Dragging Out An Old Poem

Recently I was sorting through some old poems I had written and found this one. It drew me back to the years when I was teaching. Because of the nature of the poem, I could not help but recall the faces of several of my students who passed away much too young. Some died in car accidents or from insidious illnesses, there was a suicide or two, and then, there was this incident that prompted me to write a poem. David died just two weeks into the school year. He died from huffing, breathing in fumes from an aerosol paint can. It was a shock way back in 1992 and I remember the moment I found out as if it were yesterday.

I’m not sure students always understand what an impact they may have on their teachers. Fortunately I have many happy, joyful memories as well, but thought I’d share this poem on my blog today.

A Poem for David

You were quiet
in my class
for two weeks.
Yet your face
is etched
in my memory.

I remember you
on Monday,
standing,
head cocked aside,
a smile
catching my eye,
letting me know
that you were
alive and well,
well and ready
to make another person
a part of you
whether you knew it
or not.

Now,
for some reason,
a reason that
no one can answer,
I’ll never know
your secrets.

The assignment
had been given:
to display graphically
your role in society.
You did, and
you did not.
Your depiction,
not completed,
can only be conjured
in my mind now.

You walked into
my life, David,
for two short weeks,
until a secretive self,
quirkily, quietly,
slipped silently away,
a powerful, permanent
aftershock suffocating
my senses
for a lifetime.
                                                                                    Judith DeChesere 9/20/92




No comments:

Post a Comment