Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Fourth of July Reflection - 2014

Yesterday I spent time with friends celebrating the Fourth of July. It was a mellow afternoon with yummy food and lively conversation. I actually took time to reflect on the fact that I am fortunate to live in the United States of America where, despite many controversies, both political and social, I generally am content. Oh, I rant and rave over government decisions, or more often, the lack thereof with our current, lackadaisical Congress in place. I wish the power and proliferation of money did not have such a great influence, for it turns the folks who are supposed to be thoughtful, productive leaders into bickering, self-serving, uncompromising do-nothings. It is staggering really, because we have so much to consider: global warming, human rights, social equality, unbridled violence, pollution, and much more. What I do realize however is that I have the right to have my say as long as I do not intentionally hurt another human being, and that’s a freedom I appreciate. Others around the world do not come close to having that choice. That being said then, “Happy Birthday, America”. As a country, the USA is not so unlike those of us who call this home. As individuals, and as a country, it is probably safe to say that we are perfectly flawed, ever growing and changing, with mistakes and successes, in equal doses, constantly in the offing. It’s what keeps us viable. It keeps us alive.



No comments:

Post a Comment