Monday, February 3, 2014

February 2, 2014 -- Quite a Mix

Yesterday was a strange mix. It was Ground Hog Day and the day of the much-anticipated Super Bowl; moreover, however, February 2, 2014 brought Northern California its first significant rainfall in months.

I’m never too concerned about Ground Hog Day. Whether Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow or not is usually not important to me, although I suppose, along with a slew of other Californians, I should be jumping for joy that we have six more weeks of winter coming our way. We need precipitation badly. I’m hoping yesterday’s rain has opened the storm door for more. It was lovely listening to the raindrops against my window and pattering on the skylights. I adore that sound. So, good for Phil!

What wasn’t so good was the Super Bowl. My team wasn’t playing in it, so I really didn’t care who won, though I was leaning a bit toward the Denver Broncos. It is the year of the horse, after all. The pony almost forgot to leave the gate though, and it was a miserable defeat for the mile-high city. The game actually was a bit boring, and much too lopsided, unless, of course one were a Seattle Seahawks fan, and I know a few. On the eve of Ground Hog Day as well as today, they are loud and proud!

Bruno Mars was awesome, I thought, and the entire performance along with the outfits made me envision a slice of the fifties – choreographed moves, skinny black ties, gold, lemá jackets, tight pants, and “that hair”! The stage rocked with talent. I’ve always liked the Red Hot Chili Peppers too, but could have done without the topless look. The shaved chests and myriad tattoos were distracting (but that’s just me)!

So, the day and the party are over. Some folks drank too much (thankfully not me) and most ate too much (me) and I must say it was nice to spend the afternoon with friends I haven’t seen for awhile. In all honesty, after the remarkably wonderful rain subsided, that was the best part of the mix.



No comments:

Post a Comment