Friday, December 20, 2013

What do YOU want under your tree?

When I was a little girl all I wanted for Christmas was “a tea party”. My parents made sure I received just what I desired: a short-legged, little table with two chairs, a tea set consisting of four, tiny cups, matching saucers, and a squat tea pot that held real tea. Oh, and I was given a baby doll for good measure. In an ancient, photo album somewhere is a faded, black and white photo to prove it. It’s a picture of contentment.

When I grew older, I was given a record player along with a 33 rpm record of Johnny Mathis (really!) and fortunately, one of the Beatles. (Most youngsters, and perhaps a few adults, this day and age, wouldn’t have a clue!) I always loved Christmas, and in my house, it was Christmas. My parents were churchgoers, believers. That’s just the way it was. I grew up saying, “Merry Christmas!” and that’s okay!

Today, I say more: Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Joys of the Season, and Peace on Earth. (And I apologize for leaving out any number of other salutations that fit the season.) It is not my intention to offend anyone. For me, all it means is that I hope everyone, no matter what one believes, is content this winter as the hubbub of each celebration revs up and then winds down.

So, what do I want under my tree this year? I want love and peace. I want patience, contentment, and tolerance. I want good health and happiness. I want to wallow in sweet memories. And, yes, to round it all out, I’m looking forward to those hot, red Valentino sunglasses I plucked off the “sunglass tree” at my husband’s office. Ho! Ho! Ho!



No comments:

Post a Comment