Saturday, August 3, 2013









The Butterfly In Me

I am a
beautiful, blue, butterfly.
I was born to fly high.
I search for my rights,
seeking a simple, peaceful,
delicate life that befits me.

Yet,

the pattern of my flight
has been filled with obstacles
and dangers,
coaxing me to taste the honey,
daring me to lite, to delight,
pulling me to stay put sometimes in
unseemly, scary, life-sucking situations.

Unknown monsters and
vivid creatures have cast shadows
on my very existence.
They have chased me,
and touched me,
rubbing away the chitin scales
that let me fly,
and allow me to be free.

I’ve been afraid
sometimes.

Yet,
just in time,
I remember.
I am a butterfly.
I was meant to fly high.

I am beautiful.
I am blue.
I beg to belong,
forever flitting forward.

This butterfly can soar once more.
This butterfly does dart amid
daisies, delighting in life again.
The monsters and creatures
will threaten no more.

Because I am who I am.
I am a
beautiful, blue butterfly.                                                     Judith DeChesere-Boyle, 2013 (revised)


Writing helps us record life’s realities. The past is not always pretty, but our experiences offer us lessons, and through those, we learn if we are open to it. Sometimes, just by putting pen to paper (or fingers to the keyboard) we create an opportunity for clarity.




No comments:

Post a Comment