Monday, July 22, 2013


I love reading books by southern authors. Among the best, in my mind, are Cormac McCarthy, Dorothy Allison, Fannie Flagg, Ron Rash, and Barbara Kingsolver. My favorite, however, is Pat Conroy. He takes the reader to the heart of the South as no one else can do, in my opinion. When he describes a beach, a bayou, a lazy river, a grand Magnolia, or a critter of some kind, the reader is able to visualize as though she were actually there. It almost seems as if Conroy maintains that one must bear the hot, muggy, humid air that is so often a palpable presence in his detail. The rich landscapes, the neighborhoods, the mansions, and the shacks are painted in colors and specifics that pull the reader right into the place. And the characters? Yes, the characters come alive. They are real, sometimes brazen or evil, and often bizarre, but believable nonetheless. I have enjoyed every Conroy book I have read, but my favorites are South of Broad, Beach Music, The Prince of Tides, The Great Santini, The Water Is Wide, and The Lords of Discipline, probably in that order.

If you haven’t been in the South before, Pat Conroy will take you there from the comfort of your own special space.

No comments:

Post a Comment