Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Another Mother Joins Us

I learned today of the death of a friend’s child. I cried. And I remembered this poem I wrote in 2014. I wanted to share again.


The Sisterhood

Years before
You stood tall,
Proud,
Productive,
Prepared,
Just like the others.

You’re gone now,                                                        
Others too,
Leaving me,
Leaving us,
Alone,
And together,
In the sisterhood --   
Mothers without a son,
Or daughter,
Our babes born
And buried,
The hands of fate
Wringing.

Year one
Begins
Without you
You are honored,
Celebrated,
Loved.
“Why the fuss?”
I sense your spirit,
Smiling secretly.

Year one
Ends.
Sweet sisters share,
Too many to count,
Losers all.
Sad stories,
Hidden in their hearts,
Bubble anew,
As fresh as yesterday.

Year two                                                                                   
Begins
Without you
Once more.
Another day dawns.
“Get over it!”
Some say.
“Not easy,”
I counter.
The sisters know.

Years before
I stood aside,
Watching,
Waiting,
Wondering,
Just like the others.

But you’re gone now,
Others too,
Leaving me,
Leaving us,
Alone,
And together,
In the sisterhood --
Mothers without a son,
Or daughter,
Our babes buried,
The decree of destiny
Resonating.

In years to come
Where will we sisters be?
Managing?
Marker counting?
Making do?
The sisterhood stands by,
Together and apart,
While time, fickle and capricious,  
Elapses enough to ease
an angst that will not ever let go.                              
                                                                             By Judith DeChesere-Boyle, May 2014
                                                                             Remembering my son, Alex Stevenson

www.jdechesere-boyle.com



No comments:

Post a Comment