Friday, December 4, 2015

Getting Sidetracked


It’s the holiday season and it’s so easy to get sidetracked. I haven’t blogged for days because, because, because . . . first, Thanksgiving came and went. That took hours . . . to drive, to cook, to spend time with family, AND all of that was wonderful, even the driving, although some drivers definitely should stay off the road, but that’s another story. (At least, thankfully, we drove BY the four-car pile up in the fast lane on Interstate 80 rather than being a part of it.)
Then came Black Friday and Cyber Monday when I spent way too much time on the Internet shopping. “What happened to this day?” I asked myself . . . twice! My husband and I went shopping one morning last week. It actually was painless, even for him. We went into a couple of stores, bought what we needed, and left, just like that! We rewarded ourselves with Togo’s sandwiches. The good thing is that the shopping has been completed . . . almost. We have one more present to purchase, but we have to get it right, and yes, that’s another story! It will happen though. I’m confident.
Shopping aside, it took two days to assemble and decorate our tree. It is always a great deal of work but worth it in the end. It’s beautiful. It took another day to sort through wreathes and other decorations and place them around the house, but it’s done now, and I’m pleased. I spent one afternoon wrapping presents, another addressing Christmas cards, and another wondering what the hell is going on in our world?
Yes, I have been sidetracked, as so many others have, with news of the senseless murders of fourteen, innocent people who, like I have been, were simply enjoying being immersed in the spirit of the holidays. What gives two wacked out individuals the right to terrorize? What’s left in the aftermath? I would say anger, fear, sadness, shock, disgust, prejudice, and bigotry are bubbling everywhere. None of that will go away, I’m afraid. At least those of us who have watched events unfold from a distance can feel one positive emotion . . . pride, that law enforcement, firefighters, other first responders, and good Samaritans at the scene were quickly on hand to help, without thinking twice.
It’s been a few days now, and I’m left wondering - Am I the only one who has been sidetracked? Despite the tragedy of yet another mass shooting, it’s back to business for some folks. Politicians, for example, use others’ misfortune for political upmanship and fall back on trite phrases that sound empty. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the families,” has been said by so many people in public office that it’s lost its meaning. Really? Who really is praying? Who really is considering what Christmas will be like for six little children whose father was slaughtered, or a man who lost his partner, or a wife whose husband was shot dead, or traumatized souls who will never see their friends again? It seems to me, in our egocentric world, that one’s standing in the polls is more important than anything else, which leads me to my final thought.
I am wondering these days why is it that the whole world can’t get back on track. Why can’t we choose love over hate, peace over violence, acceptance over intolerance, and giving rather than taking? I sound naïve I know, but perhaps during this holiday season we all should give the notion of good over evil some serious thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment