Wednesday, September 16, 2015

What Makes Some People Tick?

People confound me! What are they thinking? Or are they not? Don’t get me wrong. I do like people, although I am an introvert and enjoy my alone time. Sometimes, however, people are simply asinine and misguided. In the last few days, the behavior of a few has made me ponder. What makes some people tick?  
Before getting to the main point about those few misguided fools, I must say that I have been amazed and delighted to see the outpouring of support recently for victims of the fires in Lake County and Butte County in Northern California. I am in awe of folks who have contributed supplies and money, and others who actively are rescuing pets, serving meals, and sorting through donations. Strangers have offered space in their homes and on their ranches for displaced fire victims and their animals. Law enforcement officials, PG&E workers, Humane Society staff, myriad volunteers, and, of course, hundreds of valiant fire fighters, and fire service members at every level have been working tirelessly.
On the other hand, at the same time, scammers and thieves have reared their ugly heads. Some seedy motel managers have jacked up their prices, callously overcharging fire victims whose homes have burned to the ground. What’s with that? Delinquent jerks have posed as media personnel in attempts to procure addresses with one objective in mind – to steal from those who have been evacuated from their homes or have lost everything. Crooks have been caught carrying charred home safes away in their vehicles. How slimy is that? One was arrested for sneaking burglary tools into the fire-ravished area. It is disgusting behavior. Why, in the midst of tragedy, do looters make it their heyday? I simply do not understand the mindset, so I would love to know what makes these individuals tick. Clearly I cannot answer my own question. Such callous conduct is a shame though, and I felt the need to turn my blathering about the issue this morning into a blog. So here it is.
Maybe someone else can explain.





No comments:

Post a Comment