Friday, June 5, 2015

A Bit About Judging


            I may lose a few friends on this one, but I simply need to say that I am so tired of the media, Facebook posters (that would be people), and even individuals in casual conversation who are hell bent on judging others. I know, we all judge; we all have opinions. Voicing one’s opinion is one thing though; indiscriminately judging is another. Today I am offering an opinion.
            I have been disheartened by the insensitive remarks made in regard to Caitlyn Jenner being transgender. It’s her life, her body. Let her be. Furthermore, why compare her courage to that of firefighters or police officers or war veterans or doctors, nurses, cancer fighters, ailing seniors, or folks with disabilities? They are all courageous. Why make courage a competition?
On another note, I was appalled by comments on FB about President Obama after he honored the San Francisco Giants at the White House yesterday. Why not just be happy for a successful baseball franchise? Why take this opportunity to attack the president? Why was the focus not on celebration? Why did so many people have to step over the line to spew their awful venom? (I’m afraid many of us know the answers.)
And of course, politics, as usual has raised its ugly head. I would love to see those who aspire to be President of the United States simply state what they plan to do to make this a “better” country. I haven’t heard any strategies specifically outlined other than Donald Trump’s woefully vague threat to take care of business. I am very tuned in to the news, actually, and find substance lost in volleys of criticism and condemnation. Where are the straight answers?
On a more personal note, several months ago, a critic condemned me in a review of my memoir, Tumor Me, The Story of My Firefighter. She was offended by my use of profanity . . . a teacher putting profane words in print? Horrifying! Unfortunately she couldn’t get beyond her judgment of my character to understand and appreciate the real story. In my mind, that’s a shame. 
My mother, bless her heart, was a sweet Southern woman who, like many others, liked to have her say. She died in 2010, just short of turning 96. She was loving, caring, sympathetic, empathetic, strong-minded, and very religious . . . Southern Baptist. All my life she supplied our family with tidbits of truth. “If you can’t say anything nice about a person, don’t say anything at all.” That was one. Another, straight from the Good Book was “Judge not that ye be not judged.” I’ve never forgotten that one. Perhaps a few other folks should take it to heart. The verse can be found in the book of Matthew (7:1-3), by the way. I don’t often read the Bible, but I did today, for reference sake. What it said made sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment