Monday, May 4, 2015

Giving Up Hope

I’ve never been too hot on hope. That is not to say I haven’t hoped for things. I have. However, I believe hope is not what it’s cracked up to be. It can lead one down a path to disappointment. How many times have we hoped for something, material or otherwise, only to find ourselves left empty handed at a dead end? The way I see it, hope is passive. All one has to do is sit back and hold it like a hot rock . . . and that can become an uncomfortable, heavy load.  

Rather than hoping, then, I prefer taking action to reach a goal at the end of the road. Being active makes more sense to me. This past few months and particularly this past Saturday (5/2/15), quite a few folks participated actively by donating money and/or walking with our team, Alex’s Fighters, in the National Brain Tumor Society’s Annual 3K Walk in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park . . . and I thank them. I have been touched deeply by the generosity of so many . . . too many to name here. Certainly we all hope desperately for a cure for brain cancer, but we must do more. In order to raise awareness and fund brain cancer research, future action is imperative. It is with that is mind that we must, with determination, carry on. I for one will continue to act and I am certain (no hoping here) that others will join me.  


Here's our team. It is important to say a special thanks to Alicia Amaro Streblow
 and Tim Streblow who joined with me to make this happen. Love!


The story of Alex is recorded in my memoir, Tumor Me, The Story of My Firefighter. It is available on Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment