Friday, June 20, 2014

Nice Things

Nice is a pretty innocuous word, actually, but I’m using it today because I realize that even in this crazy, sometimes baffling world in which we live, nice things happen. AND what are these “things”? When I was teaching I often told my students not to use “empty words” such as “things”. “Be specific,” I’d tell them. So I will be.

--Nice is having a lovely, long, leisurely, lunch, literally at the edge of the San Francisco Bay, with two longtime friends.
--Nice is seeing the sparkle of the sun running with the tide.
--Nice is a quick kiss on the cheek.
--Nice is a post-it note that says, “I love you.”
--Nice is seeing a photo of a friend’s genuine smile as she crosses the finish line after a grueling triathlon.
--Nice is the Champagne Study Group’s chatter.
--Nice is appreciating the awesome beauty of the fog and bright blue sky butted up against each other in the view of my camera.
--Nice is my fluffy, one-eyed cat purring in my ear.
--Nice is hearing the sound of tails slapping against the back of the couch when I greet my two dogs at 5:30 in the morning.
--Nice is a hummingbird sighting.
--Nice is a good book review.
--Nice is watching my baseball team win . . . please?
--Nice is an unexpected phone call from a former student just “checking in”.
--Nice is peaking under leaves in my garden for fresh vegetables . . . and finding them.
--Nice is being told it’s good to cry sometimes.
--Nice is a warm hug.
--Nice is giving a surprise gift to someone.
--Nice is accepting a gesture of unexpected kindness.
--Nice is, “You look nice today!”
--Nice is an infant’s smile.
--Nice is the crisp face of a Shasta daisy.
--Nice is watching a brightly colored koi floating serenely deep in the pond.
--Nice is becoming lost in one’s art.
--Nice is being absorbed in a good book.
--Nice is remembering.

The list could go on and on. I suppose that’s a good “thing”, but this is all for now.
Have a nice day!
Sausalito, California 6/19/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment