Thursday, May 15, 2014

Inspired By A Quote

Writing is a peculiar process. I am drawn to it like a bee to honey. I can’t seem to get enough. I love the creativity of inventing characters, describing scenes, imagining dialogue. The following short dialogue was inspired by the quote at the bottom of the page. I’m afraid it’s a little depressing.

            “You don’t have to live this way,” Catherine told her. “You deserve better.”
            “I’m caught. Stuck.” Stacey’s chin sank into her palm, her eyes perused the tile floor as if it held answers, and she sighed, a long, sad sound like a whisper.
            “No. You have a choice.” Catherine had honed in on Stacey like a bird of prey. Her intention was not to hurt, however. Hurt would come though, one way or the other for her friend, she was afraid.
            “It’s not that easy,” Stacey countered. “I don’t have family nearby -- just him, if you can call Jim ‘family’ these days. I have kids, a dog, no job. I can’t just pack up and move to the streets.”
            “Maybe it’s not easy,” Catherine acquiesced, “but you’re hurting. You have been for a long time. You can hurt where you are until it’s too late, or you can trudge through to the other side no matter how hard it is.”
            “I don’t think I have it in me. God, Catherine. Jim and me -- we’ve been together since high school, breathing the same air, having kids, loving, arguing, hating, and making up again.”
            “You’re stronger than you think,” Catherine offered.
            “No. I’m not. I’m like a hamster in a cage, just running and running, keeping that wheel turning and turning. Nothing will ever change,” Stacey said, defeated.
            “Get off that wheel, Stacey. Get off while you can,” Catherine tried, but to no avail.
            Catherine knew she was finished and most likely Stacey was too.



            

No comments:

Post a Comment