Wednesday, November 13, 2013


On Trust

Why is it that some people are so trustworthy and others not? And how does one judge? Is it a gut feeling? Is it experience that makes a person know the difference?

A man I know recently entrusted a “friend” with some valuable belongings. “I’ll take care of them. Don’t worry,” the friend said. “I’ll give them right back whenever you’re ready for them.”

He lied. Instead of making sure the belongings were safe, he squandered them or used them for his own profit. The man I know cannot be sure about that; all he knows is that when he attempted to retrieve his valuables, to possess them again, they were gone. Losing what he treasured was bad enough, but the betrayal of trust was worse. The man I know is heartsick, and I feel sad for him.

I understand that empty feeling and sense of despondency that comes with the realization that someone’s duplicitous behavior has been laid bare. It hurts. It is quite likely that every single one of us has experienced some semblance of betrayal whether it be stealing, infidelity, conniving, misrepresentation, or just plain lying. “That’s just life,” some would say, and I suppose they’d be correct. It’s a shame though that trust can be such an elusive notion. I’ve always wrangled with the issue. Reliable, dependable, honest folks exist, however. I’ve found a few and I don’t intend to let them go. I trust they feel the same. I hope the man I know has had the same experience.

 
Trusting may mean taking a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment